We know instead, and the scientific evidence proves it, that already starting from a few months of life the child is ready to receive the gift of reading and that the adult should seize this precious opportunity. I refer you to the Born to Read website for all the details.
You want to read to your child, but you have no idea where to start . And you get frustrated because your baby looks really small … so you can follow and above all understand the words of a book or just to look at the pictures. The first piece of advice is to stop psychoanalizing the situation and take action .
10 MOVES TO BEGIN TO READ HIGH VOICE
(Ie 10 practical tips that help you unlock yourself).
- WHEN TO READ . Choose a time of day when you feel comfortable and your child is not engaged in other activities (food, play, rest, etc.).
- WHERE TO READ . Find the right place for reading. It could be an armchair in the child’s room, a carpet full of pillows, the Latvian mother and father. The essential thing is that the environment is silent, welcoming and possibly bright.
- CREATE THE WAIT . Before starting reading, anticipate the experience you share with joyful words and sincere enthusiasm. Remember: if the child sees you involved and participates, he will express your own interest.
- WHICH READINGS FOR CHILDREN? Choose a quality book that fits your age! This point is fundamental, and I will return to it in a specific post. For now I suggest you some super reliable and specialized publisher in the books for the little ones: Babalibri , La Coccinella , EL Editions , Clavis , Il Castoro , Franco Cosimo Panini (Series Zero-Tre) .
- THE RIGHT POSITION . Sit comfortably and hold your child in your arms while you read, so that you can both look at the book.
- HOW LONG DO YOU READ? The first few times he dedicates a limited time to reading, not more than 10-15 minutes. As you know, keeping the attention of young children alive is a difficult task!
- DO NOT SCROLL DOWN . If during reading the child looks elsewhere or shows no curiosity, do not be demoralized! You can try changing the rhythm of reading, involving it with questions and interacting with it. But if he appears nervous or annoyed, then stop. Try again later.
- HOW TO READ . Read in the most natural way possible, respect breaks, change reading speed, imitate animal sounds, make fun expressions, etc. In a nutshell, identify yourself and make reading a living experience full of stimuli. But don’t try to act or be who you are not. Your baby would notice it and be disoriented.
- WHAT TO DO AFTER READING . Let the child become familiar with the book-object, which manipulates it freely, which “tastes” it and learns to recognize it.
- THE RIGHT PLACEMENT . At the end of the reading, place the book on a low shelf, easily accessible to your child, so that he can take it whenever he wants. Little by little, add more books and build your own library.